Re: [teacherartexchange] E/P lesson approach

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 12:17:00 PDT

Hi Pam,

I don't disagree with you at all. I would just start with meaning first and
then at some point study the use of the elements within the lesson as a related
topic.

I always liked Edmund Burke Feldman's approach that he elaborated upon in his
book, Varieties of Visual Experience. I remember he divided up his book by
themes and purposes of art.

I also believe I look at art education as worthwhile from an immediate point of
view. How can art making help this child in the here and now, rather than what
it can do for students in the future.

So a lesson on How I am Special for Kindergarten children could help students
discover how art is a place to explore ideas and feelings that help them in the
here and now. Having this experience in their present life will help them
integrate and grow and develop in the moment so they can develop organically.
Children are human beings when they are growing up and they need help dealing
with their immediate ideas, and feelings. As they deal with their immediate
ideas and feelings in the moment, they develop skills, abilities, cognitive
structures to handle life as they mature and develop. Gradually children
unfold and naturely develop to handle the challenges of life in this way. If
they have art experiences throughout their life that they find meaningful and
personnally fulfilling, then art will be a way for them to express themselves
and to discover the world throughout their lives.

Focusing on sequential concepts within a discipline without placing these
concepts within a particular context, makes the subject matter devoid of
meaning. It is like learning skills without knowing what good it is to know
the skill. It is like saying if you know these skills, one day you can do
something more meaningful, but for right now you have to take your medicine. I
believe meaning and concepts can and should be integrated. Jerome Bruner did
not give much credance to the emotional, physical, social, and artistic needs
of children. He focused mainly on sequential concepts within a specific
discipline. A very narrow approach which, in my opinion, has led to an
unhealthy seperation of the intellect with other parts of human experience.
The emphasis on rationality has led a whole generation down a path in which
people find no meaning in life. Hence we have all kinds of psychological
problems which leads to all kinds of other problems.

What do others think?

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate