Re: [teacherartexchange] important concepts to teach kids

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 10:34:39 PDT

Great question.

I am moving away from concepts such as line, shape, color, balance, emphasis,
repetition.

I am beginning to move to larger concepts such as: Who am I? What is my story?
What makes me special? What questions do I have about life? What art work do I
like and why? Why make art, at all? Why do good things happen to bad people?
Why are some people poor? Why are some people rich?

Of course students will use line, shape, color, balance, emphasis etc in their
works, but I guess I am more interested in helping students find personal
meaning and to help them understand their place in the world. I am interested
in the big questions. We have been having discussions about big questions.

I think I would need to figure out what would be age appropriate big questions
for grade level.

What do others think?

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory