[teacherartexchange] Still life drawing ideas

---------

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 10:26:08 PDT

Hi Group,

This was a hot topic not too long ago.. I recall a number of posts being made.
I just entered still life drawing teacherartexchange in Google....lots
of hits, but not the most recent postings.

Here is a lesson that has some of the suggestions:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/kenshading.htm

One of my favorite ideas was the personal identity Trompe l'oeil.
Each student brings in some assorted items and attaches them to a
piece of mat board (you can use double stick tape - of even regular
tape and have them draw the tape as well). There are some American
Trompe l'oeil artists you can use as inspiration. Arts and Activities
had a lesson plan a while back on this. Here are some suggested
artists from ArtLex:
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/t/trompeloeil.html

If you are still a member of the "back up" art ed list, there are a
great number of posts in that list's archives on the subject. Email me
off list and I will forward those posts to you.

Having more than one still life is a good idea. Provide lots of
interesting objects for student to focus down on. Linda Woods had some
really fun things in her still list arrangements for third graders.
She made two large arrangements.

Yes, set them up on carts so you can move them out of the way when not in use.

Deborah