re:[teacherartexchange] Five Senses as Motivation

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 14:22:56 PDT

Interesting comments Marvin.

I would like to respond to your comment below about imitation and "master" works
of art. I believe that every person learns in different ways. Some students
would definately profit from looking at examples of famous works of art before
creating their own. I don't think it stifles or affects some people. In fact,
some people find that it is helpful. From the writings of Vincent Van Gogh in
his letters to his brother Theo, he thanked Theo for sending him Millet
reproductions because imitating the reproductions, "invigorated his pencil."
So I try to restrain myself from hard and fast guidelines, but look to each
student to see what may work. One of the main benefits from a multi-sensory
approach is to provide different modalities from which students can relate.
One size does not fit all and for some imatitation can be motivating,
stimulating and can help build confidence that translates to desires to
continue making more original art. Some birds need to be gently coaxed out of
the nest. :-)

Cheers,

Diane

--