[teacherartexchange] artist of the five senses

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 15:24:11 PDT

Hi, all,

I was rereading an old issue of ArtNews the other night and came across
the name of Jusepe de Ribera, a 17th century Spanish artist who was very
active in Naples. What caught my attention was the mention of his
series of paintings based on the five senses. Given the recent
discussion for incorporating the senses into art curric (though
admittedly I haven't followed the discussion closely), I looked up this
artist to try and find out what inspired his series. Digging a bit
deeper, I found this info: "St. Ignatius urged the Christian(s) to
engage all five senses in the active contemplation of the Passion of
Christ." The series was apparently meant as an allegory based on this
teaching.

His style was heavily influenced by Caravaggio. He created many
paintings of the martyrdom of various saints that are quite graphic.
Getty has some of his works:
http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/bio/a3031-1.html

Don't know if any of this info is of use to any of you, but it was fun
tracking him down.

Maggie