[teacherartexchange] Scholastic Art Magazine - ARTaFacts Magazine

---------

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 09:08:32 PDT

Hi Stacie and all,

Since we have so many new members, I decided to post this to the list.

Scholastic Art Magazine is geared for grades 7 and up - but they now
have an elementary teacher's edition for using with grades 4 through
6.
http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/classmags/art.htm

When my school would no longer purchase these for my middle school
students, I bought ten subscriptions myself. I found them to be a
valuable resource. They were also good for substitute lessons when I
didn't want the students doing their hands on project.

See the sample issue on the site (for Piet Mondrian) along with teacher's guide.

You can order a free sample through the web site - or order toll free
1-800-724-6527

Another source that many like to use is ARTaFacts Magazine
http://www.artafactsmagazine.com/
You might want to order a class set for elementary - then order the
secondary issue as reference for yourself (since you teach
elementary). You may also order a free sample to review. These come
out five times a school year - and are a bit more economical for a
classroom set.

My personal preference is Scholastic Art (for middle school) since you
also get a nice size poster to laminate (I think I paid between $75 to
$80 for ten issues). Look at the artists they are offering next year
and see if they interest you.

Diane - if you are reading. You might want to get copies of these for
your pre-service teachers to evaluate.

Deborah