RE: [teacherartexchange] pre-service art teachers

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 17 2005 - 13:06:24 PDT

Hi Heather and All,

Yes it is important for students to be able to advocate for their art programs.
This will be one of the strands of the course. I use Blackboard with all my art
education courses and provide handouts for them. There are about ten great
articles they have to read about the value of an education in art. We also
watch two videos on the subject and there is a PowerPoint that a Texas
organization put together for them to view. The entire goal of the program is
to prepare leaders in Art Education. There really is so much that is needed
and it is challenging to get everything into one course. Luckily we have six
art education courses that include field experiences and then student teaching.
 Then they have their teacher education courses, which seem more theoretical at
this time. In the art education program they have 75 hours of pre-student
teaching experience in an art classroom. I hope that we can also begin a
Children's art workshop that is community based where art education majors can
try new things and new approaches. However that will probably not happen until
I can get a Graduate Student to help me. Yes, even at the college level we
struggle about money, resources, faculty and programs. Art Education is
usually low in priority even within an art department. However, my Department
seems to be very supportive of all areas. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory