RE: [teacherartexchange] pre-service art teachers

---------

From: Heather Hayes (heatherglenn77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 17 2005 - 12:38:17 PDT

I think someone mentioned it before, but having the pre-service teachers
brainstorm ways to increase positive PR for their art department is probably
a very valuable project. Given the severe cutbacks to the arts that most
districts are facing these days, we need teachers who know how to stand up
for their department. We'll need lots of publicity so that we'll have
public outcries when they want to cut back more. If we let our departments
become invisible (which often happens because we get so focused on creation,
and not showing) then no one will care if it gets cut.

I think every pre-service art teacher should know about hanging shows,
handling PR for shows, and ways to increase parent/community involvement in
it.

If you're dealing with teachers planning to teach secondary, some tips on
helping their students enter shows and create portfolios for art schools and
scholarships would be helpful. I know when I started teaching, I didn't
have a clue on how to help my students do that sort of thing.

I also think that the comments people have been making about learning to
order supplies are excellent. You may want to have them do that 1st, and
then connect all the lesson plans they make to the supplies they've ordered.
  Another way to help the face real-life challenges is to hand them a list
of supplies they have and make them come up with lessons that use the
limited supplies - like it's the end of the year, and they're starting to
run out of things, and they have no $ to buy more. What can they accomplish
with what they have on hand?

I think it's WONDERFUL that you're approaching this from such a practical
standpoint. I'm a little envious that they're getting so much good
information upfront, when I had to suffer through it on my own. Oh, well. :)

Heather H

Heather