Re: [teacherartexchange] pre-service art teachers

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 17 2005 - 07:53:28 PDT

Hi Betsy and all,

I like the idea of having them come up with a list of Basic and Ideal supplies
and then have them look in supply catalogues to come up with an order so they
could see how much this would cost, initially.

I would like to fold that in with the lesson plan/curriculum assignment. Each
group could create a master supply list, create an order using supply
catalogues such as NASCO or Dick Blick or Dale Seymour what have you. It could
be developed with a Basic List and an Ideal List. This would help them see the
issues, costs, and process of ordering supplies.

Many art teachers in Texas have to first order from the District warehouse and
then order things from outside the warehouse if it is not in the warehouse.
The warehouse is where items typically used/ordered are stored and the district
buys these items in very large bulk, ie: construction paper, glue, tape, etc.
Some art teachers also, particularly at the elementary level, send their lists
to the Art Coordinator/Director for the district. This person gets all the
supply requests from all art teachers, puts it together and orders items in
bulks as is possible to save money. The system varies from district to
district.

Someone else from the list mentioned the use of PowerPoint presentations and
folding this into the curriculum development project, as well. Most of the
students are very comfortable making PowerPoint presentations. Perhaps each
group could make One PowerPoint presentation to be used with a lesson/unit and
then each group would exchange PowerPoint presentations. Each group would then
make an end of the semester presentation.

I like the idea of tying everything into the curriculum project to make
everything as "real" as possible.

So to sum up so far, here is the existing project:

Curriculum/lesson plans for a year for each grade level (exchanged digitally)
Budget/orders for supplies/equipment. (exchanged digitally)

A collection of visual resources to teach this curriculum (found on the internet
and elsewhere) to add to existing resource boxes. These would be both digital
and analog.

Each time we would meet they would have about two hours to work on this project
in their groups. I would take about 1 hour each time to go over information,
etc/activities, etc. There would be times that small groups would review to
the large group what they are doing.

I would need to develop a master handout on the criteria for the assignment.

Sounds good. What do you guys think? I don't want to overwhelm my
students--they do have other classes. Oh, they also have a field experience
requirement, too for this class.

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory