[teacherartexchange] Some ideas

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 13:51:28 PDT

Hi All,

Thanks for the ideas sent in by all so far. I think we are on the same page and
it is encouraging to see this.

This is a new university for me and a different bunch of students. However, I
have been teaching this type of class for art education majors for many
years--always trying to teach it more effectively and relating it to the
current students and education practice.

I do like to have students work in very structured cooperative learning groups.
I have fifteen students, so far and I could divide the class into four groups.
I envision having them go through the process of curriculum development at the
elementary art level that meet Texas Standards and National Visual Art
Standards. I would like them to plan for a year of lessons. Group one would
do lessons for grades pk-K, Group two grades one and two, Group three grades
three and four and Group four grades five and six. Grades five and six are
technically considered middle school in Texas, but some elementary schools,
probably the majority are still structed pk-6. Students would then exchange
lessons so they would have lessons for all grade levels. Students would make
presentations about the lessons throughout the semester.

The book I have selected is Emphasis Art, 8th Edition. This is a completely new
edition and very different than previous editions. It has several chapters on
teaching art while integrating it with other subjects. The state of Texas
requires that art and music teachers integrate art with the "core." Art
teachers are evaluated on how effectively they do this. I will have students
complete some of the activities in the book and I envision that the suggestions
in the book could be used in their art lesson plans.

Last semester I had students develop an art instructional resource box and I
will continue to have them do this as well. I will also require that they
begin to create an art and art teaching portfolio.

I will spend a lot of time helping them to plan and write effective lessons.

I am blessed with committed students and we work well together in what I call a
social constructivist learning environment.

Do you guys have any reactions or additional ideas to add to what I have planned
so far?

Cheers,

Diane

--