Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] What Paintings Tell us about American Life (Scenes of American Life -Smithsonian)

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 07:38:42 PDT

Hello Group,

Collect more ideas from your summer surf.

We can learn a lot about American Life by studying the paintings in
this "Treasures to Go" on line Exhibit from Smithsonian American Art

Scenes from American Life:

On line exhibit features American
treasures which highlight the story of American life through-
out its history. Each entry is annotated; click on each slide
to enlarge it. Consider having your students select one slide
or one artist, writing up either an artist's biography or a
presentation on the elements of art in their chosen slide.

I can see many ways to use this with your students. How about
something interdisciplinary with American History classes? What about
American Literature and American music too? Create some kind of time
line along the wall out side your classroom.... So many possibilities.

Also check out the other Treasures to Go exhibits listed at the bottom
of the page.
Exhibits are no longer touring the country - but they left these on
line for your enjoyment and to use with students.

To unsubscribe go to