Re: [teacherartexchange] No Perfect "Top Ten" images - here is the list so far

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 06:21:35 PDT

not a challenge, just a question i've been
considering: what is the purpose of a top 10 artists
list?

my thoughts - what i need my students to know about
artists: they come from all over the world, from
prehistory - now, use many different materials, and
make art to say something. if students "get" this,
hopefully they'll recognize themselves as artists as
well as many others around them. if we look at faith
ringgold, a living african american woman who makes
story quilts, we can make the connection that
grandmother's quilt is art, and that the pieces of
cloth + the way they are put together tells us things.
 this is how i want my students to think of art
history and its relation to what i ask them to think
about and create.

other important concepts: examples of style of
representation: realistic, abstract, and nonobjective

if you're gonna do picasso=abstract, you've got to
tell the story of its connection to african masks, and
thn how about mark ecko's
http://www.eckounltd.com/abouteckounltd/marcecko.shtml
rhino logo? ok, monet: connect to aboriginal dot
painting and pixels.

imho, a tops list would have to include representation
from many more peoples: hokusai, diego rivera... who
from russia? india? australia? the group of seven
from canada? native american... i understand the
limited time argument but pop culture loads kids up
with leonardo et al. as an art teacher, i feel like
my job is to tell the rest of the story, that art
isn't just oil paintings by, you know, dead white
guys.

also, many important works are "anonymous", what about
those? i'd like students to have some sort of
intelligent answer if they were asked, "what were the
first kinds of art ever made by people?"

a parallel: "great" musicians "we" all know
(non-euro)? even contemporary mainstream music is
pretty uninformed. how come britney and 50 cent
aren't tapping into kabuki traditions or ululating?
it'd be novel and it grabs ya! maybe this is one area
where we art eds have music eds beat (since they've
beaten us silly w/ advocacy).

glad to have summer time and the list to allow for
such ponderings!

:D wendy free