[teacherartexchange] No Perfect "Top Ten" images - here is the list so far

---------

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 05:21:44 PDT

Hi Group,

This has been a great discussion.... There is no way I could pick just
ten. What I would like to see.... is maybe ten new images selected
each year. Maybe Carol could approach their PTO to buy some 22 x 28
frames. Display the Top Ten for each year throughout the school with
information about the artist (or culture) displayed with the print.

Every child needs to know who Monet was.... Sad thing is, the tech guy
at my school had no clue who Monet (or Impressionism) was. He sure
didn't have a very good art teacher when he was a kid.

In my mind.... if we are to get those "enduring ideas" across to the
kids, they need to see more than one representation. I would like for
them to see more than one haystack (or waterlilies) - more than one
Impressionist artist. And what African mask would you pick? from which
cultural group? Which Pueblo potter would you pick? Which African
American artist?

Here is the list so far.....more than ten.

Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel (and/or David - Pieta)
The Parthenon (architecture covered)
Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa
David's The Death of Marat
George Seurat's Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte
Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night
Edvard Munch's The Scream
Pablo Picasso's Guernica (or other cubist work)
Grant Wood's American Gothic
Salvador Dali's The Persistence of Memory
Georgia O'Keeffe's Orange Poppy (or skull)
Claude Monet - Water lilies
Henri Matisse - any cut paper (one from Jazz series
Andy Warhol - Soup Can
Miro - Blue Series
Modigliani - Portrait of Jean
Henri Moore - sculpture
Alexander Calder - Mobile or stabile
Frank Lloyd Write - architecture

Add some Cultural images
Need ethnic works... women....

I think Carol needs to think about the Big Ideas/Enduring Ideas she
wants to get across to her students... then find the image(s) that
meets that goal. I;ll recommend Carol get a Shorewood catalog as many
of these prints are available (don't think they have sculpture
though.... she will need Take 5 for that).

Pick ten art teachers.... and you will get ten different top ten
artists/prints...and that is a good thing.

Deborah