Re: [teacherartexchange] Top Ten Images

---------

From: Rachel Smith (rsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 06:37:06 PDT

I have just finished only my first year of teaching, and I am unsure,
too. I have some thoughts on this topic, though. If all students are
to learn about the same ten (or even one hundred) artists, then how are
we, as teachers, exemplifying the value of diversity or creative
thinking? Our society tends to create an "industry of fame," and I
think that our yearning to create a "top ten list" reflects that.
However, when thinking about the growth and learning of an individual,
I'm not sure that a list of "must-see" artists contributes to that goal.

On the flip side, in other academic disciplines, there are basic
foundational "musts." Perhaps a "top ten list" serves as the
foundation for creative learning and growth in art history and/or art?
Maybe these are the rules that one must learn, before breaking them?

Rachel Smith
Columbus, Ohio