Re: [teacherartexchange] Top Ten Images

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 21:50:31 PDT

I'm going to jump in here with a thought -

> the collection should have representative works of art from a
> variety of cultures
> both male/female works, works of art from a variety of
> historical/cultural periods, works from all genres, works that would be
> interesting to children In practice, I try to find images that I can use
> that are examples of the concepts I am trying to teach. Creating your
> list would be a very individual thing.
> if I am passionate about the work, this usually carries over into the
> lesson.
> It might be fun for children to create a list of their top ten.

With these thoughts in mind, AND being completely realistic here, if a
student were to leave your program at the end of 5th grade, never to take an
art class again, and you only have these students for 45 min. a week, and
you incorporate actual art making during that same 45 min. - all that being
said, would you go for students having a true knowledge of specific artists
and famous artworks (like recognizing the Mona Lisa), or would you go for
students having alot of exposure, but not being able to identify specific
famous artworks (like the Sistine Chapel) BUT having been exposed to a large
majority of artworks.

And at the middle and high school levels, how many of you spend time
teaching artists and cultures, or do you focus more on technique? I am
really curious about all this, since I am a one-person K-12 art program. I
know what has worked for me for the past 11 years, but I am willing to
change if I think it's in the best interests of my students.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids