Krista Ranly wrote:
> Elementary teachers...
> I am beginning my fourth year of teaching elementary art and decided
> this summer to redesign the K-6 curriculum (I am the first elementary
> art teacher in my district). I am curious how other elementary art
> teachers structure their curriculum. I see each class once a week for 40
> minutes. I am interested in how others sequence their lessons, if they
> use units, if they use themes, etc.
> Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!
> Krista in OH
Michal is a great teacher and I trust her advice. I did not teach
elementary but let me suggest:
- move from very simple to gradually more complex from lesson to lesson
- try to create connections from week to week that the students can see
- somehow review and reinforce what came before
- teach around images that reinforce the concepts in the lesson
- teach with passion and teach the kids to have passion
- expect the best they can do and you will get it
- teach them to enjoy what they are creating and to love learning
- let them know that there are no mistakes in art just happy accidents