Re: [teacherartexchange] Redesigning elementary art curriculum

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 21:48:17 PDT

Krista Ranly wrote:
> Elementary teachers...
>
> I am beginning my fourth year of teaching elementary art and decided
> this summer to redesign the K-6 curriculum (I am the first elementary
> art teacher in my district). I am curious how other elementary art
> teachers structure their curriculum. I see each class once a week for 40
> minutes. I am interested in how others sequence their lessons, if they
> use units, if they use themes, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!
>
> Smiles,
> Krista in OH

Michal is a great teacher and I trust her advice. I did not teach
elementary but let me suggest:

- move from very simple to gradually more complex from lesson to lesson
- try to create connections from week to week that the students can see
- somehow review and reinforce what came before
- teach around images that reinforce the concepts in the lesson
- teach with passion and teach the kids to have passion
- expect the best they can do and you will get it
- teach them to enjoy what they are creating and to love learning
- let them know that there are no mistakes in art just happy accidents

                        Enjoy the children, Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
		mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net