Re: [teacherartexchange] Redesigning elementary art curriculum

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 19:19:40 PDT

I start each year with a VERY basic lesson/review - this establishes
discipline and allows me to see what students have retained. Then, I start
with my first lesson depending on where I think the students are "at". I
like to teach more of a design based curriculum, so it is easy to use those
vocabulary words and terms over and over. I have a word wall, and point out
the words that apply to each lesson. Lessons can really flow together if you
clump like ideas - VanGogh/warm colors/thickly applied paint/lines can lead
to Seurat/Pointallism/visual color mixing/dots with the tie in being
Impressionism. I used to do themes, but found I was spending my entire
summers coming up with new themes and that unless you repeat those themes
(like if you do multi-cultural one year, and each grade does a country -
great for an art show, but then they only get the information on one
country). I now have specific concepts that each grade works on. Of course
this is ever changing, because administrators love adjusting the art
schedule - 45 min. 2x a week to 45 min. 1x a week to 25 min. 2x a week. All
time changes have affected my curriculum.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids