[teacherartexchange] Top Ten Images

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 18:03:21 PDT

Hi All,

This question intrigues me. I think it is a useful discussion. Instead of
identifying a specific list of 100 images maybe we could identify some useful
characteristics that anyones top ten/hundred list might try to meet.

For example, the collection should have representative works of art from a
variety of cultures, male/female works, works of art from a variety of
historical/cultural periods, works from all genres, works that would be
interesting to children at all levels of development. It would be an
interesting exercise, but I agree with Woody...the list should be developed
from there.

In practice, I try to find images that I can use that are examples of the
concepts I am trying to teach. I also like to choose works of art I know
something about. I also try to find works of art that I can get from the
Internet. Reproductions are expensive so I like to use Digital Images that I
can project on a screen. I either print them out using an ink jet printer or
project them onto a screen using PowerPoint. I like to print out post card
size images to use in small group discussions. I also like to encourage
students to find images they like, have them print them out and save them to
our digital art collection in art education.

I also tend to show works of art that I really like, but my taste is pretty
electic. I do notice that color seems to be important to me. Also I like high
contrast work and work that has lots of texture. Favorite artists are: Keifer,
Van Gogh, Calder, Picasso, Matisse, O'Keeffe, Debenkorn, Nevelson, Cornell,
Hicks, Warhol, Juane Quick to see Smith, Faith Ringgold, Janet Fish, Maurice
Sendak, Andy Goldsworthy, Frankenthaler, Weston, Cunningham, Wright, Dali,
Magritte, Ansel Adams, Grant Wood. I like
quilts, drawings, prints, posters, architecture, type faces, outsider art,
comics, earthworks, digital art,etc.

Creating your list would be a very individual thing.

For me, if I am passionate about the work, this usually carries over into the
lesson.

It might be fun for children to create a list of their top ten.

Cheers,

Diane

Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate