Re: [teacherartexchange] What are your TOP TEN images kids should know?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 12:24:11 PDT

*LOL* Wow - what a can of worms this question is! I asked it a few years
back, and the discussion that followed was interesting and full of debate.
My question was: If you knew that your students would never take another art
class past 5th or 6th grade, which artworks would you, as their art teacher,
be embarrased if they did not know. I completely agree with your list - I
would add Georgia O'Keeffe's Orange Poppy, Edvard Munch "The Scream" (not
because it is so much more important than other works, but because it is so
visible in advertising and kids should recognize it). Of course you want to
teach artwork from different cultures and include artwork from a variety of
sources (ethnic, female, etc).If I only have the students for 30-40 minutes
a week I would rather they walk out of my classroom knowing and being able
to identify these artworks, rather than just "remember seeing them
somewhere". It does add up to 2 major artworks a year, or about 30 class
periods (our school year is 36 weeks, but I'm dropping 6 for field trips,
snow days, non-art substitutes). That is my .02 and am anxious to see what
others think. :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids