[teacherartexchange] Lesson Planning for New Teachers

---------

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 07:05:14 PDT

Hi Group,

There have been a number of new teachers joining this summer.... a
link came across in a newsletter I get... The actual lesson plan
template is not useful to art teachers... but these questions are.
They will help you think through your lessons.
(form is not copyrighted). Lesson template came from
http://www.englishcompanion.com/

BEFORE: Did you:
consider students' prior knowledge and experience?
establish the criteria by which they would be assessed?
provide models to help them understand the task?
connect today's lesson with previous learning and other disciplines?
give effective directions both orally and in writing?
consider students' backgrounds, interests, and developmental cognitive needs?
establish and communicate goals?
choose the appropriate strategies and tools for optimum learning?

DURING: Did you:
use a variety of instructional strategies and resources?
provide opportunities to assess their own learning?
treat all students with respect and fairness?
encourage all students to participate?
enforce expectations for behavior fairly and consistently?
employ instructional strategies appropriate to the subject matter.
use materials, resources, and technologies to make subject matter
accessible to students?
allow students to practice before working independently?
follow logical sequence?

AFTER: Did you:
use multiple forms of assessment?
consider short- and long term learning needs?
use assessment results to guide instruction?
give them time to begin homework so I can be sure they understand?
clarify directions and due date for homework?

I Like this part too:

Reflection: What did/did not work? What were you trying to accomplish?
What happened?

So many days, we find ourselves "flying by the seat of our pants" -Try
to take time for reflection on how you can improve your lessons.

Continue to share your lesson ideas with the Getty Group and we will
help you tweak them. We want to hear your ideas. Our ideas already
fill the archives.

Deborah