[teacherartexchange] telling our life story

---------

From: Peri Raygor-Yanez (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 13:17:21 PDT

I came into the world as an army brat child to a couple of geniuses who
would rather be artisans than travel up the military career ladder.
They instilled in me a deep love of art history as museum attendance
was always on the agenda as we traveled the world on the behest of
protecting freedom. My mom and dad both have rich histories which they
passed on to me as well.
        Being a brat I had to have my own way, so I went through several
stormy marriages until settling into the warm hugs of the love of my
life. I was a graphic designer working freelance and for an independent
printshop in Phoenix who employed DECCA students, when the big box
office stores entered and cut the prices on printing, putting the
independents out of business.
        So I started subbing at the suggestion of my friend and watercolor
teacher who also taught high school drawing and painting. Her
department chair suggested I take education classes at night through
Chapman University. A few hours after receiving my certificate I had my
masters. All of the art teachers in the district had my name and called
me to sub for them. One was a friend of the art department chair at the
local community college. She suggested I apply for a job there where I
taught computer art from my personal experience as a graphic designer.
        When I finally got hired full time by the high school district I had
subbed at all of the high schools in the district. You know I was not
that great with children. I was used to working with grateful clients!
But anyway I've continued to learn taking ESL and art classes, of
course looking at them from a different perspective. Roxie Mathayer
from South Mountain High School Magnet for the Arts who was in Mary
Erikson's class at ASU put her work on the Chicano/Chicana website and
suggested I get on the Getty listserve.
        My principal now is thinking I'm doing a good job, but whoa it took
several schools and many classes and changes in my classroom to get to
this point. I teach digital photography as an art class. This summer
the Art Institute of Phoenix generously gave Arizona Art teachers an
opportunity to attend a free summer camp, so I took life drawing and
digital photography for free! I was awful the first day in life drawing
so I went home and practiced from a book I had. No kidding, I improved
a great deal! Anyway I mostly lurk, but "hi" from the sidelines!