Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Dead Tree Sculpture

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 05:12:41 PDT

Wichita KS has alot of these. After a tornado came through and damaged
several trees a couple of local artists came in and carved the trunks into
whimsical animals and people. I can't think of the artist's name right now -
but he went on to carve scuptures all over the city. I always respected the
fact that he wouldn't touch a live healthy tree, no matter how badly the
owners wanted a sculpture!
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher

> Any dead trees in your neighborhood ? On your school campus ?
> Don't cut them down. Recycle them into fantastic sculptures.
> On our trip to Santa Fe, today, Frani and I found these
> creations in the heart of town. I remember seeing them last
> fall in progress. All that is necessary is; a dead tree,
> an active imagination and a chain saw. Do wear protective
> eye wear when sculpting. I shot these pics today in Santa Fe.

To unsubscribe go to