Re: [teacherartexchange] Budgets

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 10:12:04 PDT

My old high school gave each art teacher (3 of us) $333 a year for
materials. That amounted to less than 2 cents a day per student for
supplies. No matter what we said, how much we begged, how much we
rationalized, we couldn't get the budget changed. Art was an "after
thought" at that school. When I left, they made my room into a
science lab and now there are just 2 art teachers for over 3000
students!!!

My current school does not have a "set" budget for us. We order what
we need and they get it for us. The best part, though, is that our
wonderful principal has allocated the profits from 3 on-campus
vending machines to go to the Fine Arts department - meaning that we
get between 3 and 5 hundred dollars extra a month to get things at
home depot and from other non-traditional places. We are very much
appreciated at this school!

ann