[teacherartexchange] Character Education Quotes - Bulletin board idea

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 07:31:41 PDT

Dear TeacherArtExchange Members,

What if we all had out own wall of words in our
classrooms.... Quotes to build character.

I started out the year one year with huge words on the
bulletin boards (letters cut from 18 x 24 black paper)
- then surrounded them with quotes by famous people
(people my middle school kids would recognize) I had
six long bulletin boards and two vertical ones).
There are a lot of sites out there where you can
choose the character words you want. The rest of the
staff loved my back to school boards.... I REALLY
enjoyed seeing the students stop-look-and READ them.
Every lesson I did was about character education, too.

Here is the quote that made me think of this. I found
it in Jean's post:

"Quarrel not at all. No man resolved to make the most
of himself can spare time for personal contention."
Abraham Lincoln

I have learned this very well. I have chosen to "live
my name".... Joan is "gracious".... My great-great
grandfather was Johannes (also "gracious"). I have
many of his writings and he worried about the same
things I do. I am glad he passed on those concerns
through the generations. I have two nieces, too, who
are concerned. Johannes was a farmer and a school
teacher. He wrote and spoke three languages (English,
German and French). He had relatives in Switzerland
and France whom he wrote to often. He wrote out copies
of those letters in his journal and now those journals
are mine. We have a box of hundreds of letters he
received. Words were important to Johannes.

Hmmmm..... might be another "Big Idea" for a
lesson?... Family and what that means to me.

Keep sharing,

Joan