Re: [teacherartexchange] Tell us your passion for art education Jim

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 14:26:11 PDT

One of the things that drew me to art was that my art teachers asked me
to think. My other teachers asked me to repeat information back to them
- it was art that pushed me to think for myself and formulate my own
ideas and thoughts.

I had great art teachers in high school- my drawing and painting
teacher would wear an old tuxedo and perch on top of a ladder for
critiques as he looked at our floor to ceiling critique wall- he was/is
a wonderful character.

When I was in high school in the 70s I was able to manipulate my
schedule so that i had 3 or 4 hours of art a day. We had drawing,
painting, ceramics, crafts, jewelry, photography and many levels of
each- it was wonderful. Now many high schools here are lucky to still
have drawing and painting. It is a shame. I feel for kids now that they
can only manage one elective a semester.
Heather