Re: [teacherartexchange] Re The importance of an education in art (long)

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 09:55:46 PDT

I always loved to color and paint (in kindergarten I spent every recess at the easel), but it wasn't until 5th grade that I really thought about art for art's sake. My grandmother took me to Florida for a week (in February no less - I got to miss a week of school!!!) to visit my great-uncle. He was an artist, and I LOVED his studio - 3 rooms of bizarre artworks in progress. We visited art museums every day, and I discovered an entirely new world. I came home to Kansas, not thinking anything more about it, until high school when I was able to take art classes. Even though my instructor really wasn't all that good, she did provide opportunities for me to experiment with paint and clay. Again, art slid into the background as I graduated hs and proceeded with life. Then, when my daughter started kindergarten, my husband decided it would be good for me to take a couple of classes at the community college. I took 2 art classes because they sounded interesting. As I worked towards my associate degree one of my instructors told me I should go into teaching because she thought I was good with kids. I took her advice and have loved every minute of it.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids