Re: [teacherartexchange] Re The importance of an education in art (long)

---------

Jillart1_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 09:20:42 PDT

In a message dated 7/9/05 8:13:55 AM, Aartteachr@aol.com writes:

> Let us start a new thread.  When difficult times come upon us, we must keep
> faith in the transformative power of an education in art.

My story is similar to many of yours. I also came from a small family and
could draw well when I was very young. In first grade we drew self portraits
and the teacher had the class gather around my desk so I could demonstrate how
to draw braids. We didn't have a regular art class in Elementary School,
but we did have a traveling art teacher who came to our school maybe once a
month. I still remember the delirious excitement of going to art class. I even
remember some of her lessons and teach of hers to my kinders now.
In High School, I was asked to paint a mural on the wall by the cafeteria.
It is still there (many years later) and was there as my first child went to
school there. I didn't decide to be an art teacher, but instead went to Art
School in Colorado with an emphasis on graphic design. And that is what I
became and did for many years. Before children, I sent myself to Italy to study
the old masters for two semesters. When my children were very young, I was
asked to help out in their classrooms. Naturally, I chose to do art projects
with the kids. I was hooked! Who knew that I could love doing something so
much? It gave my love and passion for art a deeper level to share it with
children.
So, I went back to college (working full time, with two small children) and
got my teaching certification with an endorsement in art k12. I have been at
my school for 5 years now and each day is a joy.
Jill in Colorado