[teacherartexchange] The need for character education - Respect - Responsibility

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 05:58:06 PDT

Dear Teacher Art Exchange Members,

I am not going to go into great lengths here to start
a thread.... those of you who do teach character
education can jump in with what you do.... Character
education is one of my passions.... and the recent
happenings on our list prove the need.

I was not worried about silly/goofy things kids did -
It was adult behavior I could not deal with. I worked
very hard so my students would take some very BIG
ideas with them... Respect - Responsibility - Honesty.

Respect for art and the profession of art education
was a big idea. Respect for one another.

And responsibility for one's actions. In many
cultures, offending individuals are asked to leave
that culture. I hope that by now... the offenders have
taken responsibility and removed themselves.

Trust... anther biggy.

Keep the conversation going. There are posts in the
archives on character education. Lessons are needed
for those willing to share.

Joan for Art Education