Re: [teacherartexchange] The importance of an education in art

---------

From: judy nash (turtlesoup4u_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 05:38:50 PDT

My story: I was extremely shy as a child, not many friends etc....but I could draw. When I got to college (back in the 70's) my school had two choices for a major; art education, or commercial art. I did not have the self discipline for commercial art so I gave education a try. During my first week of student teaching, I discovered that with art, I had more confidence and actually enjoyed talking to the kids. I fell into teaching by accident (or maybe divine intervention?) but have not regretted it since. thanks. judy n

Barb Reser <breser1@cox.net> wrote:My story: My 23 year old son Grant died 6 months ago of cancer. He had had
a heart transplant at age 3, a kidney transplant at age 19, then was
diagnosed with Burkitt's Lymphoma. While he was undergoing chemo, I told
him I'd give up my art teaching business and take care of him. He said,
"No, mom, don't do it."

It's a good thing I didn't, because having my students and doing my own
artwork were (and are) the best therapy for me!