[teacherartexchange] telling our life story

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 04:25:20 PDT

Red
Well, I think this is a stellar idea. First THANK YOU GETTY, second : Jim
Corrigan in my humble opinion is a troll trying to scare people into
dropping the list. We are public school art teachers for criky's sake. You
think we haven't been scared before? We have survived Principals and
school boards that don't understand art. We have sat and been told we could
squeeze an 8th class in on Tuesday. We have been given teaching schedules
that look more like penitentiary sentences. We have been told we are so
creative that we can teach with out any money. I throw large Monty python
cows in your general direction troll boy/girl.
Back to my story. Growing up, my Mom ,always told my sister and I we should
get teaching degrees. I believe looking back my Mom felt she didn't have
the chance to go to high school, so that was her dream of being a teacher.
My sister went to college started in Math, than ended with a Masters In
Special Ed.
I loved art in school, but our family moved to a tiny island when I was 15.
The art program comprised a traditional artist once a week in a closet We
painted Mat us bottles. There were two of us in the class. I went to
college and decided I wanted to be a vet. (okay no laughing now, and if you
are reading this troll, I hope I am BORING you) At the end of my second
year at college, a man assigned to be my advisor, called me to his office
and INFORMED me that I had chosen the wrong career, and that getting into
vet school was harder than Med school, and get this ( It was the 70's
now)I would get married and waste the degree anyway.

Let us have a long pause here now. I hope that advisor, where ever he is
has a big SQUIRM. Sadly, I took his advice. I switched majors & graduated
with a BFA in art. I found a job in Victoria , Australia teaching forms 1
and 2.

I have had a successful art career. But at pauses in my life I have
wondered how different being a vet would have been.

Randy and it is still rainning.