[teacherartexchange] The importance of an education in art

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 22:32:49 PDT

Hi All,

Let us start a new thread. When difficult times come upon us, we must keep
faith in the transformative power of an education in art. These are our core
beliefs and we owe it to ourselves and our profession to continue.

I propose that we each tell our own stories to each other about the value of art
in our own respective lives. Do not worry whether or not it is a real message
or "spoof." Let your story be told.

When I was a child, my mom asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said
I want to an artist. Mom laughed, but I was serious. She asked me, Why do you
want to be an artist? "Because my hands itch."

Back at age seven I remember that yearning to express myself, to find meaning,
and purpose. It is still that way for me and now I want others to have that
same opportunity that art can provide. This is why I am an art educator. By
being an art educator, I can help myself and others find meaning and purpose.
As an educator of art teachers, I hope to educate those who will teach others
that through art our civilization can find peace, love, hope and live in
harmony for the greater good.

What is your story?

Diane

--