RE:[teacherartexchange] When is it time to be "Mrs. Not Nice"

---------

From: Peri Raygor-Yanez (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 16:25:24 PDT

I've heard that feeding the children bowls of salted rice and then
large amounts of water causes their little tummies to explode. Hmmm,
what about a food treat? (Just a thought, Get some good laughs for
yourself at their expense).

Seriously, my principal noticed that I was encouraging the disruption
in my classroom by asking the disruptor the next question! The best
advice I've heard is to Sit it out and keep track of the time it takes
them to settle down. Then take that amount of time out of being Mrs.
Nice Guy. Take care of disruptions before teaching. You won't know
until you try it.
If it happens while you are teaching, stop teaching until it is over.
Listen to what the students are saying. Write it down. (ha they think
you are spying on them then.) Take a class in creating a dynamic
classroom. Try "Tribes." Its all the rage. Check your lessons, are
you prepared? Get those little suckers working in teams, each with a
necessary task (cooperative/collaborative groups). And a tip...put the
"do nothings" in the same group. Ha ha. At
least one of them will start working, because no one else is. Be
professionally cordial to them. You have a studio to manage and they
are the customers. Don't let them get away with stealing your valuable
time. You owe them a good education. Keep growing in your portfolio of
creative management.
Works for me!

   Peri