Re: [teacherartexchange] When is it time to be "Mrs. Not Nice"

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 06:33:08 PDT

This sounds so much like my upcoming 4th grade class. Some kids just do not
mesh well as a group. To top it off, in my group of 18 4th graders (I'm
lucky that there are ONLY 18 of them *L*) I have 3 "helicoptor" parents -
those parents who hover over their kids, waiting to jump in and punish the
child (I believe it is to show the school how diligent they are taking their
parental responsibilities), or to admonish the teacher and throw a hissy fit
in the office. What I found is to make them earn those "cool" assignments. I
will tell my students that if they do a good job on the current assignment,
then we will do clay, or paint, or sculpt, or whatever is unique to them. It
is best to have short term goals - like the current project will take 2-3
class periods max. My kids are SO used to getting in trouble that nothing
was working, so I approached it from the other direction. During clean-up,
the first table to be cleaned up gets to line up first, the first table to
come in and sit down quietly gets to help pass out supplies. Re-arranging
seating arrangements helps - I found it was easier to have one obnoxious
table near me, if it meant the other 3 were working and quiet. I'd bet if
you looked at their records, you will find a large number are only or
youngest children, and a large majority will be classified as SPED. Good
luck - there are no easy answers!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids