Re: [teacherartexchange] When is it time to be "Mrs. Not Nice"

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 04:15:52 PDT

Hi,
With a group like that, (and yes we have all had them), you have to find a
consequence that matters to them.
 Loss of recess, afterschool detention, phone calls home to parents.
You have not said what consequences you have in place for those who break
the rules.
Invite parents in to visit on a daily basis.
How does their classroom teacher get anything done ?? What system does
he/she have in place for this group??

Does their behavior in your class , carry over to their regular classroom,
or do they behave differently for you ?
Do the consequences for their behavior impact them outside of your room,
loss of field trips, special parties , extra computer time etc.???

You might have to be tough ALL YEAR with this group. Have them slowly earn
back the freedoms that the other groups enjoy, like getting out of their
seat to get supplies, talking during work time,. It will be more work for
you to give out supplies etc. and not let them get up from their seats, but
it will be better in the long run.
Fun projects with the OTHER groups that can handle the freedom , peer envy
often works wonders with groups like this.
If they see other 4th graders doing something different, they might come
around.

Hope this helps,
Christine Besack :)