Re: [teacherartexchange] When is it time to be "Mrs. Not Nice"

---------

From: Judith Stenger (mammamia2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 04:06:03 PDT

Dear Cathy,
    It sounds like you have been very creative with your behavior
management. Unfortunately, in my experience, there is always that
one class that makes you crazy. Here is something that helped; I
have a handout with the rules on one side, consequences on the other.
Both sides must be signed by parent and student, and there is a place
where I ask for phone numbers. I collect these as I take roll the
first few days. As they hand them to me, they receive a check on my
gradesheet, and a small bribe--maybe a pencil or a lollipop, I call
parents on my cell phone immediately for infractions. II keep my
phone in me at all times. Sometimes, all I have to do is begin to
open my id holder (where I keep my phone) and the behavior stops.
If they don't speak English, I call again later from a school phone
and use language line. I put the child on and have them explain why
I had to call them. I may have students write a problem sheet, have
their parents sign it, and require that it be turned in to me before
the next art class. If not, and you need to clear this with admin,
they must go to the office or detention room and call home. If you
do this immediately, on the very first infraction, things will go
smoother,but you have to keep it up. Good luck to you.
Judy S