[teacherartexchange] When is it time to be "Mrs. Not Nice"

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 03:40:37 PDT

Here's a question for my fellow art teachers. I've just been told that I
need to stop being so nice to my students and that I need to be stricter.
The "suggestion" comes on the heels of my awful year with my 5th graders.
This class was the largest I've had for Art and the most disruptive. I
tried every strategy in the book to get these guys under control and for a
while each technique would work or last for approximately a week before they
became disruptive again. I've drawn out contracts, flashed the lights,
blown the whistle, clapped my hands, held my hand up with my index finger to
my mouth, wrote A R T on the board and erased it for each disruption, wrote
behavior conduct slips, had the VP come to my room to monitor then admonish
the kids, and I've put students in time out or penalty box. Nothing worked
with these guys... seriously, nothing. All my other classes were perfect
and discipline problems were nil but this 5th grade class was horrible and I
was warned by the 4th Grade teachers who had them last year that they were a
bad group of kids. So, now I'm being forewarned that I may have some of
these little troublemakers back for art this fall as 6th graders and that I
need to set the LAW DOWN the first day followed by constantly writing these
kids up and above all, I'm told to stop being sooo nice. So, exactly when
is it time to be Mrs. Not Nice and when do I go back to my usual self? I've
tried being the mean it doesn't work for these guys because they know that
after a few weeks of being good I'll be nice again.

I love all the posts on discipline and how to handle disruptive behavior BUT
what do you do when it's an entire class of 25 students?

Mahalo,
Cathy