RE: [teacherartexchange] Recycled Art

---------

From: Jacqueline Sprat (jacquelinesprat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 15:29:11 PDT

I love to dumpster dive as well! In the past I have been done to annoy my
neighbors on trash day because I used to help myself to a few of their bags
since I knew full well that they would toss out all manner of wonderful
items that I could use in my art.

Even some unlikely items can be used for art. For instance, the glass
fragments from broken bottles and windows can used to make mosiac projects.
Some of the children, especially the younger one, may get a few knicks, so
make sure you have some Band-Aids on hand before you start the projects. I
believe the lesson helps them each learn how to properly handle objects with
sharp edges in order to minimalize cuts and abrasions.

I also teach my students to draw from real life, so I have an active
collection of bones of a variety of animals. It is amazing at how many
specimens one can find just driving down the highway: deer, dogs, cats,
oppossoms, armadillos, etc. These can be easily cleaned up using a double
boiler and a little bleach, creating wonderful life models that the students
can sketch.