[teacherartexchange] Recycled Art

---------

From: Jacqueline Sprat (jacquelinesprat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 14:46:52 PDT

If you are like most art teachers, you have a relatively small budget for
supplies. Why not encourage students to create art using recycled
materials. Old newspapers, coffee cans, soda bottles, old clothing, tea
bags, paper towel rolls, egg shells, old flashlight batteries, buttons, and
other items that many consider trash can be used to create wonderful art
projects. I have even found that the condiments packets that many of us get
at fast food places can be used as a painting medium. Mustard is a
delightful yellow. Catsup is a rich true red. Hot sauce is a lovely
orange. Mayo functions as white and can be used to tint other colors. Even
old bread, cooked pasta, and other leftovers can be blended in a food
processor and used as paste or a painting medium. Before you throw this
stuff away you need to consider that you might be throwing out materials
that can be used to create a masterpiece!