[teacherartexchange] Examples of Big Ideas (these are themes)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 11:42:53 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I don't see anything wrong with posting this list of words:

EXAMPLES OF BIG IDEAS (in my mind, these are more like themes)

DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES

LIFE CYCLES

REVERENCE FOR LIFE

INTERDEPENDENCE

INDIVIDUAL IDENTITY

AGING

POWER

COMMUNITY

LIFE AND DEATH

EMOTIONAL LIFE

HEROES

FAMILY

IDEALISM

RITUAL

VIEWS OF REALITY

CONFLICT

SOCIAL NORMS

SPIRITUALITY

CELEBRATION

UNCERTAINTY

RELATIONSHIPS

SUFFERING

HUMAN DIVERSITY

MATERIALISM

NATURE AND CULTURE

UTOPIAS

FANTASY

SOCIAL ORDER

Taken from: TEACHING MEANING IN ARTMAKING By Sydney R. Walker

ISBN: 87192-583-4
The Big Idea is something that has staying power... I am searching for
a good definition for Big Ideas in art.... here are some I grabbed
from business:
>Ideas that have a significant, pervasive and lasting impact on global society.
>something that challenges your thinking and makes you act upon it.
Pam has defined it as enduring.... something we want the students to
remember as adults.

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department