Re: [teacherartexchange] Differentiating Instruction - especially for middle school

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 07:27:32 PDT

In a message dated 7/6/05 10:12:17 AM, judy.decker@gmail.com writes:

> one of the most important things my students took
> was how the "Art Room Culture" was different. We liked our own little
> world... a good place to be.

This is one of the most important points in discipline and art room spirit
discussions, Judy. The habits of artistic creation are often very different
from those habits needed to succeed in other (recently often test-driven)
classes. We need to make these habits explicit to our students from the onset and
celebrate them when we see them emerge. Some I might suggest are: risk
taking, trying a different twist on things, persisting in the face of failure, and
so on. What are some others? These qualities might not work too well when
taking a spelling test, for instance, but are essential in an art room.
kathy douglas