[teacherartexchange] The "Peopling of America" - a topic that fascinates me

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 06:09:01 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

YES - I made this a topic in my art classes, too. The "peopling of
America" is one of my passions, too. I brought it up in my Native
American units and in my Pre-Columbian units. I have browsed many
links posted in Explorator list (a Yahoo list)... done many surfs of
my own. The first Africans in America was my most recent surf --
Fascinating stuff! How many of you still believe the first Americans
came across the Bering Straight? Isn't that what we were all told? I
loved bringing in stuff that de-bunks that theory. I won't share my
wanderings on this topic... but thought I would post this link from
Net Gold today.

Footprints rewrite history of first Americans
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7627

Art connects all...Science....history...math.... Yeah, we did a little
art in my class too.

Teach your kiddies how to take care of and respect "Turtle Island"...
the future depends on it. We (OK "I") talked a lot about Turtle Island
in my watercolor landscape lesson. I talked too much.... but the
kiddies did enjoy my talks. They liked that I talked about things that
were important. I also read some Native American Creation Narratives
during that unit. I wanted my kids to become life-long learners.... I
showed them how I was continuing to learn. We got our Ps and Es
squeezed in there, too. Respect for the land was the big idea. Respect
for cultures and differing viewpoints was the big idea. I know they
got my big ideas.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--