Re: [teacherartexchange] Sequential Art

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 05:12:42 PDT

I know that earlier in this thread it was mentioned that tissue paper seemed too elementary for middle schoolers, but I just did a rose window project with my 7th graders to finish off the year, and some of them were absolutely gorgeous! They even found the process challenging, because they had to create a radial design on black paper, then cut out the windows with an exacto. That was tough for some of them because they had to figure out which parts to cut so that it wouldn't fall apart. Then they put their cutout windows on cheapo white paper, traced the open parts onto the paper, then filled each section with tissue paper that they applied with a thin layer of glue. Anotehr challenge was making sure that the patches of color fit in the sections they cut out without white space showing. I still have one of the best ones in my room; for some reason, the student didn't want to keep it, but I think it is beautiful. I also thought that it was a great lesson on symmetry, radial design,
 shape, and line. They also gained control of their exactos, and I think they thought it was pretty cool to get to use them. Do I have a written lesson to share? No, not yet,...but I would be happy to send a picture of the finished example the student gave me if anyone asks. I'm telling you, it doesn't look elementary at all.

Barb Reser <breser1@cox.net> wrote:For faux stained glass, I have students overlap the primary colors of
acetate to mix --(haven't tried paint yet)), then sandwich the acetate
betwwn the contact paper, and draw the "lead" inbetween the colors with
Sharpies.