Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] getting attention

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 04:59:40 PDT

I am in the habit of saying "Heads Up!" and raising my hand. I think it's because some of the sixth grade teachers raise thier hands to get the kids quiet and then the kids are supposed to raise thier hands too, but I found that my students are too busy to look up and see my hand unless I say something, too. It works quiet well- but one day I was having "one of those days" and when I said "Heads Up!" one of my kids yells "Seven UP!" and I almost lost it- I guess no method is really perfect, you just have to use what works for you. I do think that trying to come up with something a bit more original than flipping the lights on and off is worth the effort.