Re: [teacherartexchange] getting attention

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 20:19:18 PDT

I totally agree. On the first day of class, I let the students know what my
"signal for attention" is. In my case, I say, "May I have your attention,
please." Then I teach them what they need to do when I say that (otherwise,
how will they know what I mean by the statement?)-"Stop" (means to stop
whatever they are doing--immediately), "Look" (means to look at
me--immediately-and to continue to look at me) and "Listen" (to me). They
need to do these things immediately --and continue to do them until I
release them (i.e., I will tell them they can return to work.) I demonstrate
what it looks like--and doesn't look like--and have them practice. It takes
some time to do this--and I continue to have them practice quite a few times
the first few days of class--but it really works. So often we expect
certain behaviors from our students--but we never really explain what the
behavior we want looks like--we just assume that they know, then we get get
upset when they don't follow through.

Mary H.