Re: [teacherartexchange] Five Senses

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 19:06:08 PDT

Hi Michal,

You can REALLY have fun with this with the wee ones.

What if you made the play-dough - but colored it with Kool aid instead
of food coloring? That would appeal to sense of touch and smell. Lets
just hope they don't try to eat it... although Jeryl Hollingsworth
does have an edible play dough recipe.

Making the edible color wheel is a must.... what does color taste
like? You could flavor the icing. I have suggestions on the Edible
Color Wheel lesson plan.

Christa Maria (Art Education member) suggested painting with Kool aid
like watercolors. Talk about what smells come to mind when they think
about colors. Caution the Kool aid watercolors will stain.

There are a number of recipes out there for finger paint with food
(chocolate pudding? hmm... that one might not be art - grin)

Track down some of MaryAnn Kohl's books - seems to me she might have
one that would fit this theme.

Of course.... have them draw real flowers.... and have them describe the smells.

Go on a texture hunt around the school.

Study artists where sound was important - like Romare Bearden. Have
them look at the art and tell what sounds they "hear" - the train.....
the chickens.....

What kind of sound does Mondrian's Boogie Woogie make? Play some of
the sounds the artists listened to. Do Stuart Davis (Jazz)....
Kandinsky.... and others who listened to music. Play some music and
have the kiddies paint how it sounds.

Play some music and have the draw the shape of the melody....going up and down.

Art that looks "good enough to eat"..... Think about Wayne Theibauld
(sp?).... Claes Oldenburg (sp?) Pardon me being to lazy to check my
spelling right now - you know who I mean. Maybe even try some wacky
food portraits. There is a contemporary artist who makes cut faces
with fruits and such and photographs them (you could tie in
Arcimboldo)

You will have a blast with this... Just omit anything here that is "cheesy".

Judy Decker