[teacherartexchange] Lesson Plan with good BIG IDEAS

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 18:12:35 PDT

Judy Decker has done as much investigation as needed as to figure the
"BIG IDEAS" and I hope some of the research is heeded.

The big ideas are about "what is art?" The how to implement the
art is a student /teacher decision once you figure what the idea
is.

I've been up since 5 AM brainstorming with myself a curriculum for
my Why Mans Creates class. I can find no models for this class, but
I can delve into my motivations and expectations for acheivement and
research and glean and pick and add to my own thoughts. I always
think, if I'm not willing to put the investigation into the content,
why should I expect my students to do more? I find lots of stuff on the
internet that I can be inspired by, but nothing that is just what I
want. So I pick and choose and look for the best big questions to
ask.
I'm so pleased that so many put their efforts on the internet. But we
should always remember that the taking has a price. We frown on our
students who lift and copy, yet I hear so many teachers that look to
finding an easy solutions.

There is so much value in investigation and research and developing
personal agendas. Is that not what professional development is about?

I for one, love to delve into the big ideas, and think that if I
present an engaging curriculum the management problems become a
lesser concern.

Thanks Judy for finding the resources for the big ideas.

Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net