Re: [teacherartexchange] music in the classroom

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 15:17:29 PDT

I spent 12 years in a classroom with no windows. I just moved to new
rooms that have more windows and light than I could ever hope for. The
students are all enamored with the light. They love and relish in the
in the natural glow.

Why would I ever turn the lights off?

Why would I ever intentionally put my students in the dark?
I only want to let the light shine .

Are you saying that dark places cause response?
How creepy?

Although dark places have been the substance of many art expressions, I
think we do not have to create the dark places for them. They have
plenty of dark places , within their own lives, and I don't have to
make another one for them.
Look at their "dark places" and make it into art, but don't create yet
another place that they don't feel safe.
How do you make your student feel safe?

intentially