Re: [teacherartexchange] getting attention

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 14:05:07 PDT

Interesting. I find that when i start talking and the
kids keep going, i just stop. At the begining of the
year, they didn't catch on quickly that i was just
standing there looking at them, but there's something
about silence from a teacher that just works. If I
ever need to stand quietly for more than 10 seconds
with my "waiting face" after a few weeks with the
kids, i'm totally surprised.

--- Judith Stenger <mammamia2@mac.com> wrote:

> My best investment ever was a small amp with a
> wireless mic. I don't
> have to strain my voice, and the kids pay attention
> when they hear me.
> I found it online for under 200.00. Yes--I did say
> investment, but
> worth every penny.
> Judy S
> On Jul 5, 2005, at 4:44 PM, Patricia Knott wrote:
>
> > Darren writes:
> >
> > "Instead of jumping jacks and climbing on the
> counter
> > to get their attention, I would recommend using a
> > whistle like the coaches use. ..
> > I've found that students hate it when I blow it
> > because of the pitch and reverberation in the
> room, so
> > after blowing it once I usually just have to raise
> it
> > to my lips and the students will help get everyone
> > quiet so they don't have to hear it. "
> >
> > Why do we resort to torture to get attention? Why
> do we use
> > anything the students hate or Pavlovian dog kind
> of response?
> > Is it not more productive and efficient to
> establish a routine and
> > procedure that calls for student acceptance and
> responsibility for
> > expected behavior?
> > Establish a common agreement between yourself and
> the students as
> > to how order will be established before you blow
> them out or off or
> > whatever it is you do with the whistle. If I
> heard your whistle
> > I'd act out instead of comply. Responding to
> discipline is just as
> > connected to learning styles as learning is. If
> some of the dogs
> > don't "heel"" then maybe you need to consider some
> alternatives.
> > Yes, a whistle is used on the game playing field
> to indicate a
> > foul or time out. It's an expected anticipation
> and part of the
> > game. But in the classroom -- well I find it
> offensive.
> >
> > Patty
> > respond to: pknott@enter.net
> >

> > ---
> > To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/
> > teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
> >

> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne