[teacherartexchange] getting attention

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 13:44:30 PDT

Darren writes:

"Instead of jumping jacks and climbing on the counter
to get their attention, I would recommend using a
whistle like the coaches use. ..
I've found that students hate it when I blow it
because of the pitch and reverberation in the room, so
after blowing it once I usually just have to raise it
to my lips and the students will help get everyone
quiet so they don't have to hear it. "

Why do we resort to torture to get attention? Why do we use anything
the students hate or Pavlovian dog kind of response?
Is it not more productive and efficient to establish a routine and
procedure that calls for student acceptance and responsibility for
expected behavior?
Establish a common agreement between yourself and the students as to
how order will be established before you blow them out or off or
whatever it is you do with the whistle. If I heard your whistle I'd
act out instead of comply. Responding to discipline is just as
connected to learning styles as learning is. If some of the dogs don't
"heel"" then maybe you need to consider some alternatives.
Yes, a whistle is used on the game playing field to indicate a foul or
time out. It's an expected anticipation and part of the game. But in
the classroom -- well I find it offensive.

Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net