Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] music in the classroom

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 13:19:43 PDT

True, a whistle would get their attention, but wouldn't be nearly as much
fun! It is the unexpected that gets them. BUT this is my style - and has
worked for me for 11 years now. Everyone has to discover what works for
them, and is within their comfort range. In my building, a whistle would
disrupt ALL the classes (we have a total of 10 classrooms in our high
school. :-)
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher

> Instead of jumping jacks and climbing on the counter
> to get their attention, I would recommend using a
> whistle like the coaches use. You can get them in the
> sports department at Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks.
> I've found that students hate it when I blow it
> because of the pitch and reverberation in the room, so
> after blowing it once I usually just have to raise it
> to my lips and the students will help get everyone
> quiet so they don't have to hear it. It also comes in
> handy if you have to do any sort of outside duty.

To unsubscribe go to